Monday, November 17, 2008

Maxwell's 1st Birthday Party!

I decided to do a luau theme for Max's birthday party. In my mind a tropical oasis was swirling around me-palm trees, sand, coconut drinks. Then the next day I pitched the idea to the kids. Both of them thought it stunk. I didn't know a 3 year old and 5 year old were so concerned about their image. Richard sighed, "Mom, haaaaagww, there is NO WAY I am wearing a flower necklace (lei) or a grass skirt." I paint the picture of a surfer and he still didn't go for it. Alyson did like the idea but once Richard mentioned pirates it was over.

So, pirate theme it was and it was a lot of fun. We had a Pirate treasure hunt, we made real maps and burnt the edges to look authentic. The kids ran around the backyard looking for more maps and clues. I also got unfinished wood boxes at Michael's and painted them gold. Then the kids decorated them with stick on jewels. It was their take home treasure chests filled with goodies.


I had never decorated a cake before so this was my first attempt. It was a lot of fun. However at the time, and the 3rd trip to Target for frosting, you would have thought different. I have 5 tubs leftover if anyone needs some-good to be prepared. That is why i took still camera shots instead of film. I found the recipe on http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefinder/display?id=50180

Here are some photos of the cake.


If you are going to make this cake, email me and I can give you some tips-things I wish I would have known before attempting this at 11pm the night before the party.



Stacey and McClain were great entertainment for the party! Who needed a bouncy house? Watching Aunt Sue and Aunt Mary run with the kids was awesome. Max mostly played with his car and loved opening presents. He is such a wonderful blessing to our family. We are delighted to have him and look forward to a lot more birthdays.




Kailyn is going to get a ticket here in California for talking on a cell phone and driving at the same time. Good to know the training starts early! Next lesson is texting and driving with your knees while putting on your makeup and drinking your soda.

Due to the fires here in Southern California, most of Kirk's side of the family couldn't get to our house with the freeways closed and they didn't know if they too were going to be evacuated. They were missed but we are happy they are safe.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute kid, but when did he turn 1? How long has it been since we've seen you?

Lis

Anonymous said...

I still can't get over the Beth name. I am like...who is Beth??...DUH! Uh we got together in August right? He was one on the 15th. Love the picture of Kia. Man, your are the master blogger aren't you. Teach me your ways jedi blog master.