Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas Tree Trimming


Ahhh...Christmas in California--hot, sunny, and so not natural. I was actually sweating standing in line to buy our tree in a t-shirt. Tonight we turned on the tunes and set out to have the kids decorate the tree. The kids had a lot of fun and the only casualties were a snow globe and a red glass bulb. We cleared out the kids to clean up the mess. It was all going great and cheery...till ...

Rich: Mom, the tree is living right?
Mom: Yes, it was, but it was cut down so we could have it. See? It doesn't have any roots. It is like the roses I cut and put in a vase.
Richard ran to the other room. Tearing up, and sobbing.
Rich: WHAT? It is dying? WHY WHY WHY?
Alyson: We killed it?
BOTH OF THEM: Why did we have to let it die? WHY? We killed it. (repeat this for like 10 min)
Mom: They planted another tree in its place. Umm, next year we will get one with roots and then plant it outside in our backyard. (feeling really guilty) We should just enjoy this tree. Thank it for being so beautiful and reminding us of Jesus' birthday and his sacrifice for us.
Richard: I am so sad mom. I want it to live not die.
Goes upstairs to cry. I go upstairs and hug them both.

What wonderful, innocent, and sensitive children I have. No wonder Jesus said to become like little children. They hurt when even a tree is harmed. Lesson learned for myself.

2 comments:

Sarah W said...

Oh my gosh, your kids are so cute and so tender! That is so funny/sad! They are seriously so darling. Your tree looks great and I'm glad to hear there wasn't too many things destroyed in the process! We aren't even brave enough to do ornaments this year. Lights only, thank you.....

Brenda said...

That is such a sweet story, but I have to admit, I laughed out loud. I'm a bad person.